Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One Year Check Up!

Our 4 lbs. 4 oz. preemie is now 22 lbs. and 28 inches long!

Miss L. had her one year check up today...and besides her screaming from the second Dr. Ellis walked in until the time we were halfway to Germantown, all went well. :)

Dr. Ellis says she is doing great and is right where she should be developmentally- even though she is not walking.  She's still in the 50th percentile in terms of size and he is pleased with everything.

As a result of research I have done on immunizations, I decided a long time ago to spread her shots out...instead of so many in one visit. We usually do half and go back a month later for the other half. 

So, she received a couple of shots today. And had blood drawn from a finger prick. Not the highlight of her day by any means.

Back to the screaming...geez, Louise! It was bad. I mean bad. I am afraid that the multiple trips to Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock have made my baby scared of the doctor. The laser treatments she receives on her ear are brutal and I think she relates that pain to all doctors now. Good thing she doesn't have to go back to Little Rock for three or so months.

One thing is for sure, I remain grateful beyond explanation for our sweet girl. Shane and I often talk about how much we love her...being a parent is an incredible gift. And having our girl come so far medically this year is such a relief. I talk about the NICU experience often because it changed me. It changed my soul. Those uncertainties clouded my mind for a long time. I prayed and prayed that we would be right where we are a year later. I am forever grateful that God answered my prayers...

Layla on her birthday...



At her one year check up! 
(Destroying the paper on the patient bench and all smiles before the doctor came in!)