Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sesame Street keeping it real...no wedding bells for Bert and Ernie

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/10/petition-underway-for-bert-and-ernie-to-get-married-on-sesame-street/


Seriously people...a petition to have Bert and Ernie get married? Please keep your political motives out of my child's educational programming.


I want my baby to learn the difference between inside and outside, the letter of the day, the 'word on the street,' how to count, etc. I don't want ANY politically driven group coming in and messing with the core curriculum of this wonderful show that I have loved since my youth.


I am not saying I am for or against same sex marriage...I am saying take your stance to your State Capitals and up on the Hill in Washington...leave it out my living room during that one hour of innocent television viewing PBS offers my child Monday through Friday. I am also not saying heterosexuality is 'innocent' either. I don't want anything that has the word 'sex' in it presented to my one year old. And for the record, I would be just as appalled if Abby Cadabby married Elmo.


High five to the folks at Sesame Workshop for this statement- released through Facebook this morning:
Bert and Ernie are best friends.  They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves.   Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets™ do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation.