Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ten Day Challenge- Five

Five Foods-

1.) Chocolate gravy and biscuits! MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! I was raised on this delicious dish. Good Southern breakfast. Ask anyone with roots in Hardin County Tennessee about chocolate gravy and they will be able to tell you their family's recipe. :) Heck, you can even find it at local restaurants. The rest of the world just doesn't know what they are missing! My Mamaw made the best chocolate gravy and homemade buttermilk biscuits. Crazy how this super cheap breakfast is something I request on special days. I had it the morning of my wedding, as a matter of fact. :) And I ate it at least once a week throughout my pregnancy. I am so excited to pass this recipe on to Miss Layla.
       2 cups of milk
4 tbsp cocoa
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp flour
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Slowly bring Milk to just below boil. (Do not boil!)
Whisk in Dry mixture. Stir almost constantly until gravy thickens.

Pour that deliciousness over open-faced or crumbled biscuits...share with a glass of milk.


2.) Shrimp and grits. Love me some grilled shrimp and cheese grits! Too bad I rarely get to eat it since even the smell of shell fish makes my Shane's throat start to close up. Yep, I married a shellfish allergic man. Poor guy.

3.) Crawfish etouffe. Yum! Again, Shane is allergic...but Momma loves it! :)

4.) BBQ pork. Can't live in Memphis and not mention good ole BBQ pork! Best pork in town is at my house. I can work magic with my Crockpot. Yep...even better than the smoker.

5.) Catfish...grilled, fried or baked. All good; however, I prefer baked. I can make my Tennessee River catfish taste like it has been whipped up in some fancy schmancy coastal restaurant. All I need is some fresh lemon, pepper, a little olive oil and my oven.