Monday, September 26, 2011

Working Momma

Before Miss L was born, my focus was my career. I loved my job and the people I worked with and there wasn't a day that went by that I wasn't grateful for the opportunity to love what I did.
In early July, 2010, I was at a business dinner with a colleague, my boss and the Chairperson of a Committee I oversaw when my water broke unexpectedly (and early) around 10 in the evening...I was wrapping up a 14 hour day. And then it seemed my career stopped.
About eight months later and with a lot of consideration I took on a small part of what I was doing before Layla joined us. Just part-time and from home. It has worked out wonderfully for me! But, there is one week a year that we all work basically 24 hours a day as we host the largest hardwood industry meeting in the world and nearly all of my fundraising events take place during this time. I was so looking forward to it because I missed seeing everyone so much...work friends from all over North America!
I was a little worried about missing Layla since I spend most every second a day with her. I was so blessed to be able to take her to the meeting...Shane took off work and brought her to Nashville so I could see her sleeping in a sweet crib every night while I was there. 
I was forced to leave her in the hospital that scary July. And I can't think of many things that are worse than leaving the hospital to go home after having a baby...without your baby. What an awful night it was...I snuck out because I didn't want to be pushed in a wheelchair like all of the other mothers...balloons, flowers, cameras... and me without my baby. After 10 days in the NICU, I haven't spent one night away from her.
So...again my work blessed me by allowing my sweet girl to come to our meeting. Granted, I only saw her when I snuck in at night and when I snuck out in the morning...but she was sleeping right there with Shane and I.
Another thing that is for sure...LAYLA HAS AN AMAZING DADDY! Shane took off work to be with her while I did my thing. They had a wonderful time being tourists in Nashville and even visited some friends while there. I know the experience was wonderful for them as they have never spent that much straight time together. Here are some pics Shane took and had taken during their great adventure!







Notice what happens right when the video ends...a little germy :) But, nothing is better than seeing my baby giggle- especially when I am nowhere around. May she forever be happy everywhere she goes!