Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ten Day Challenge- Three


Three Films-

I know there are many critically acclaimed films that take home numerous awards; however, I am a simple girl. I like my movies to be realistic and embrace humanity.

1.) The Help- I just recently watched this movie. It's not that I love the plot line, it's that I love the truth it exposes. I will, however, say that when I walked out of the theatre, I told my friend Erika that it almost made me ashamed to be white. Truth is, my family was too poor to have hired help in the house in the 1960s. Not that it mattered because I know my grandmother would have never treated anyone the way some of the characters in the film treated the women who worked in their homes. That's where I find my pride. :)

2.) Dirty Dancing- LOVE. Like most women my age, I have this film memorized from the beginning to the end. I can honestly say it is one of the only films that I can watch over and over. If I flip through the channels and it is on...my plans for the next couple of hours come to a complete halt. There is so much to this movie beyond the love story and dancing. It shows the dynamics of economic lines, unplanned pregnancy and hard work. It exposes the reality of the issues that all young people face- rich or poor.

3.) Steel Magnolias- So Southern. So real. There is not a character in the movie that does not remind me of someone I know. And it highlights the importance of family and shows there is nothing a good mother won't do for her child.